Lichfield City Railway station opened in 1849, on the South Staffordshire Railway’s line from Lichfield Trent Valley to Walsall and Dudley. This later became part of the London and North Western Railway. The architect for the South Staffordshire Railway was Mr Edward Adams of London and the station building built in 1849 was a modest creation in a Tudor style, with tall gables and chimneys.
Unfortunately this original station was demolished in 1882 when the present one was built to accommodate these additional services. The original station stood further east than the present one. It was approached from the city by a path which ran across Levett’s Field and up some brick steps in front of the station, these can still be seen near the present Fire Station.
Are there any other building still in existence that Edward Adams designed?
The Illustrated London News March 18 1859